Equality Act 2010
The Equality Act 2010 is the law which bans unfair treatment and helps achieve equal opportunities in the workplace and in wider society. It came into force from October 2010 providing a modern, single legal framework with clear, streamlined law to more effectively tackle disadvantage and discrimination.
How can your club make 'reasonable adjustments' to include disabled people?
There are a number of areas that your club can address in order to include disabled people. Here are a few to get you started:
- Talk to disabled people; through consultation and working with disabled people your club can start to consider areas of operation and activity that need to change.
- Establish how accessible your club facilities are. By carrying out an access audit your club can start to plan for any physical changes that might need to be made.
- Consider how your club currently promotes its activities.
- Increase the knowledge of key club officials, volunteers and coaches through training.
- Ensure the clubs constitution and any related club policies reflect the inclusive approach that needs to be adopted.
For more information, Guidance and support on the Equality Act 2010 click here.
Simon Pierce (Contact)
Development Manager - Disability
North Yorkshire Sport
- North Yorkshire Sport Ltd
Harrogate High School
- 01423 013035