The Achieve Life Skills Programme is designed to use sport and activity to inspire young people to create a brighter future for themselves by supporting the development of skills and opportunities in their local area.
The programme will aim to achieve the following outcomes;
- Increase resilience, perseverance and persistence
- Improve social, physical and emotional well being
- Improved self confidence and self esteem
We will work closely with schools to identify pupils aged 13+ who would benefit from the perceived outcomes of the programme.
All sessions and activities will be led by an Athlete Mentor and a Youth Worker from North Yorkshire Youth. Both have experience working in a setting to engage, motivate and inspire young people to achieve. The athlete will draw on comparisons from their sporting career to support young people in developing key skills.
All programmes delivered will follow a similar structure however each will be tailored to meet the needs of those within the group. Sessions will take place directly after school with refreshments provided to participants.
- Element 1 - A choice of Sports which will be delivered through out network of local sports clubs to introduce different activities and develop skills such as team work, discipline and resilience.
- Element 2 - Group Activity - various tasks and challenges to test the young people, their skills, how they deal with setbacks and how to move on and build from that.
- Element 3 - Learning and training opportunities - helping participants to boost their CV and gain age appropriate qualifications (First aid / Sports Leaders)
- Element 4 - Development, planning and delivery of a Community Social Action Challenge. The group will be given a budget to deliver something within their local community with a sport influence.
Development Manager - Youth Engagement