Achieve - Essential Life Skills
The Achieve Life Skills Programme is designed to inspire young people to create a brighter future for themselves by supporting the development of skills and opportunities in their local area.
The programme will aim to achieve the following outcomes;
- Increase resilience, perseverance and persistence
- Improve social, physical and emotional well being
- Improved self confidence and self esteem
We will work closely with schools to identify pupils aged 13+ who would benefit from the perceived outcomes of the programme.
All sessions and activities will be led by James Kirton (Sporting Champion) and Ian Kirchner-Waines (North Yorkshire Youth). Both have experience working in a setting to engage, motivate and inspire young people to achieve.
All programmes delivered will follow a similar structure however each will be tailored to meet te needs of those within the group. Sessions will take place directly after school with refreshments provided to participants.
- Element 1 - A choice of Sports which will be delivered through out network of local sports clubs to introduce different activities and develop skills such as team work, discipline and resilience.
- Element 2 - Group Activity - various tasks and challenges to test them, their skills, how they deal with setbacks and how to move on and build from that.
- Element 3 - Learning and training opportunities - helping participants to boost their CV, gain age appropriate qualifications (First aid / Sports Leaders)
- Element 4 - Development, planning and delivery of a Community Social Action Challenge. The group will be given a budget to deliver something within their local community with a sport influence.
On completion of the programme, young people will be invited along with their friends, family and school staff to a celebration event to share and celebrate all their success and receive recognition.
Where: Eskdale School (Whitby)
When Starting 15/01/19 - every Tuesday until 09/04/19
Time: 3.30pm - 6.30pm
Where: Pindar School (Scarborough)
When: Starting 16/01/19 - every Wednesday until 10/04/19
Time: 3pm - 6pm
On the completion of the above two programmes we will be looking to run a further 3 programmes in the summer term.
Sport Development Manager
North Yorkshire Sport