North Yorkshire Sport recognise that the return to school for many young people will be challenging, not only surrounding the environmental changes but also the emotional impact.
The wellbeing of our young people is hugely important and we want to support schools to support your young people. One of the ways that we can do this is by facilitating visits from sporting athlete mentors.
We have access to a range of sporting athlete mentors who all have their own stories of how they progressed in their sport, some of whom achieved national or world championship status, and some competing at the Olympics or Commonwealth Games.
Since retiring, these athletes have dedicated their lives to supporting, mentoring and inspiring young people, sharing their story and drawing parallels with the challenges that young people face.
An athlete mentor visit to your school is an ideal way to support your pupils as they return to school. The athlete can work with the whole school, class by class or with targeted cohorts of pupils, and can focus on key themes around:
- Following a dream
- Building resilience
- Importance of teamworking
- Managing anxiety
Visits are available as follows:
- Full day visit - £250
- Half day visit - £150
To request a visit please complete the form below, providing as much detail as possible and we will match you up to an athlete (please see details at the bottom of the page around covid 19 and safeguarding)
To ensure that the visits are conducted in a safe manner the following will be in operation:
- Athletes will have undertaken a DBS check and safeguarding training. It is the responsibility of the school to satisfy themselves around their procedure for welcoming external visits.
- It is fully expected that the athlete will always be working alongside a member of staff from the school and will not be managing groups on their own.
- The school will need to make arrangements with the athlete direct around logistics such as parking and refreshments.
- The athletes will adhere to any covid-19 related procedures that the school insist and these should be supplied to the athlete in advance of the visit.