English Learning Disability Sports Alliance
The English Learning Disability Sports Alliance (ELDSA) is a unique partnership between Special Olympics Great Britain (SOGB) and Mencap to promote the inclusion of people with a learning disability in sport and physical activity. The ELDSA work across the sports sector to ensure that people with a learning disability have the best possible opportunity and choice to participate in sport at a recreational and competitive level. While SOGB and Mencap remain as two separate organisations, this partnership provides a single united voice for people with a learning disability in sport.
English Learning Disability Sport Alliance represents people with a learning (intellectual) disability. There are an estimated 1.5 million people living with a learning disability in Great Britain (Papworth Trust, 2014). ELDSA believes people with a learning disability (PWLD) should have the same sporting opportunities as non-disabled people, regardless of their ability level. The ELDSA aims to:
- Raise awareness of learning disability sport
- Work together with a clear common purpose to increase sporting opportunities for PWLD
- Be a single united voice for sport for PWLD
- Engage, enable and support PWLD to regularly take part in activity
- Support the development of inclusive provision
- Establish a single point of contact for National Governing Bodies of sport, County Sports Partnerships and other organisations to develop more sport provision for PWLD
To visit the Mencap Sport website click here.
To visit the Special Olympics GB website click here.
Simon Pierce (contact)
Development Manager - Disability
North Yorkshire Sport
- North Yorkshire Sport Ltd
69 Bilton Lane,
- 07414 911218