Comic Relief, Ahead of the Game: Sport and Mental Health
Summary: Projects that focus on supporting organisations to use sports based approaches to support people who are already experiencing mental health problems, whether these are self-determined or diagnosed.
- Amount Available
- £150,000 to £450,000
- Type of funding
- Club, Group or Organisation, Facility Development, Improving Health, Running Costs
- 1:00am - Fri 31st May, 2019
About Comic Relief, Ahead of the Game: Sport and Mental Health
Comic Relief's Sport for Change strategy aims to bring about positive social change for individuals and communities through the intentional use of sport and physical activity.
There is a growing body of evidence that suggests that mental health can be improved through sports-based approaches which combine sport or physical activity with quality mental health support. However, this needs to be intentional. Research shows that taking part in any sport or physical activity will not automatically, on its own, positively benefit someone's mental health. Programmes aiming to use sport or physical activity to support those with mental health problems need to be carefully designed to ensure they provide adequate support and are effective.
Comic Relief has launched this funding call with two aims:
Firstly, it aims to support new or existing work that combines sports based approaches with quality mental health support to reduce distress and/or improve mental wellbeing.
Secondly, it aims to contribute to the growing body of evidence by learning from projects about what approaches are effective for whom, in what contexts.
The fund will support work in the United Kingdom, Ghana, Uganda and Rwanda.
In the UK we will focus on supporting organisations to use sports based approaches to support people who are already experiencing mental health problems, whether these are self-determined or diagnosed.
Funding is available for a minimum of 3 years and a maximum of 5 years
Organisational Income Eligibility
- The applicant must not have an annual income of less than £75,000 or more than £10 million.
- The requested amount must be proportionate to the annual income of your organisation, and this will be looked at as part of the assessment process. We aim to fund no more than 40% of your organisation's total income in any one year.
Please note that there is a two-stage application process.
- The deadline for the first stage applications will be 1200 GMT on Friday 31ST May 2019.
- If your application is shortlisted you will be given a further 4 weeks to submit a full proposal, and the deadline for second stage applications will be 1200 GMT on Friday 9th August 2019.
- Stage two proposals will then be shortlisted for a full assessment
- Once assessments are completed, the funding decisions will be made by the Comic Relief Trustees by the end of January 2020.
North Yorkshire Sport is not responsible for the accuracy of information provided by third-parties and accepts no liability relating to any information contained on the site. If any contact details have been provided, It is recommended that you contact them directly.