York St John Swim team need your help
Posted: Fri, 08 Feb 2019 09:48
York St John University Swimming club are launching a charity event for Aspire and they need your help!
Club captain Joanne Williamson explains:
Aspire is a charity that helps people who have been paralysed with spinal cord injuries. Practical support is given to those with the injuries and their families, in order for them to live a better quality of life independently in their own homes, in their work place and in leisure time.
Within our swim team we will individually be swimming 22 miles which is the equivalent to 1416 lengths of a 25m pool in 12 weeks which is the same distance as the English channel. We will be using our training sessions as well as extra sessions in the local York pools to gain these lengths, our main pools are Yearsley and St Peters School.
This link will take you to the website for the Aspire channel swim which we are taking part in.
What do they provide?
- Aspire grants are given to purchase equipment that most of us take for granted
- Aspire housing provides fully accessible properties for use
- Aspire independent living advisors provide support and advice for patients
- Aspire's assistive technology facilities ensure that all patients have access to a computer
- Welfare benefits advice service provides advice and support
- Aspire campaigns make changes to benefit every individual living with spinal cord injuries in the UK.
This link will take you to the Aspire charity website to provide you with more information.
If you would like to donate, please visit: