Try Sailing This May In Yorkshire!
Posted: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 10:21
Sailing clubs across Yorkshire will be inviting people to 'Push the Boat Out' and get on the water this May!The national Push the Boat Out (PTBO) campaign, run by the Royal Yachting Association, will see events taking place at more than 20 venues across the region, offering free or low cost taster sessions to help people have a go at sailing and windsurfing.The aim is to make it as easy as possible for all ages to take part and try a new watersport, and open days will include:North Yorkshire
- York RI Sailing Club, Bishopthorpe, York - Wednesday 1st May
- Ripon Sailing Club, Knaresborough - Saturday 11th May
- Scarborough Yacht Club, Lighthouse, Vincent Pier - Saturday 11th May
- Scaling Dam Sailing Club, Whitby Moor Road, Easington - Sunday 12th May
- Thornton Steward Sailing Club, nr Bedale - Sunday 12th May
- Filey Sailing Club, Arndale Landing, Filey - Saturday 18th May
- Yorkshire Dales Sailing Club, Grimwith Reservoir, Hebden - Saturday 18th May
- Whitby Yacht Club - Saturday 18th May: open evening at the club house; Monday 27th May: sailing from Whitby Marina
- White Rose Sailing Association, Givendale, Newby Hall, Ripon - Sunday 19th May
Find the dates and full details of your nearest event at www.rya.org.uk/ptbo and get on board for a new adventure!Sailing offers the freedom of being afloat, the challenge and achievement of learning a new skill, and a chance to make new friends, while for children it can develop heaps of positive life skills, like confidence, independence and teamwork.Sam Usher, RYA North East Regional Development Officer, said: "There has never been a better time to get active afloat. With so much focus on physical and mental wellbeing, being on the water gives all ages a chance to get away from screen time and the stresses of modern life to have fun with friends or family and enjoy being out in the fresh air."RYA Programmes Manager, Michelle Gent added: "We are delighted that for the second year running, Push the Boat Out will be returning for the whole of May. These events are a fantastic day out for the whole family and a brilliant opportunity to have a go at a watersport. Whether you're a complete beginner, or a former sailor or windsurfer looking to get back on the water, find out what's going on in your local area and get involved!"All kit and safety equipment is provided so just bring a pair of old trainers you don't mind getting wet and your sense of fun. Refreshments will be also be available at many venues, with a host of shore-side activities and entertainment to enjoy too.Last year, more than 39,000 people across the UK attended a PTBO open day, inspiring thousands of new sailors to join their local club.Find out more about the Push the Boat Out campaign and events near you at www.rya.org.uk/ptbo.