What the new national lockdown means for sport and physical activity in England
Posted: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 08:04
On Monday 4 January, the Prime Minister announced a new national lockdown to counter the steep rise in coronavirus (Covid-19) infections in England.
The new restrictions become law on Wednesday 6 January, but people should follow them as of now.
More information about what is and isn't allowed is available on the government's website.
The new regulations have implications for sport and physical activity, you can read more about these on the Sport England website.
Here is a short summary.
- People should minimise time spent outside their home. It's against the law to meet socially with family or friends unless they are part of an individual's household or support bubble.
- People can only leave their home to exercise, and not for the purpose of recreation or leisure, and can do so with one person from outside their household.
- This should be limited to once per day, and individuals should not travel outside their local area.
- When around other people, individuals should stay two metres apart from anyone not in their household - meaning the people they live with - or their support bubble.
- Where this isn't possible, they should stay one metre apart with extra precautions (such as wearing a face covering).
- Indoor gyms and sports facilities will remain closed.
- Outdoor sports courts, outdoor gyms, golf courses, outdoor swimming pools, archery/driving/shooting ranges and riding arenas must also close.
- Organised outdoor sport for disabled people is allowed to continue.
Tim Hollingsworth, Sport England chief executive, said: "We all understand the incredibly difficult decisions that the government is having to make to keep people and communities safe and why they are necessary at this time.
"These latest restrictions will once again test the resilience of everyone involved in delivering sport and physical activity and will make keeping active a real challenge for people across the country."
You can find latest updates on the Sport England website.