Opening School Facilities Phase 2
Sport England have announced that £10.1 million of Department for Education(DfE) funding will be invested into the Active Partnership network to:
- Help develop extracurricular opportunities and community links for children and young people.
- Support schools to open and re-open their facilities to the local community.
In July 2019 the DfE, DCMS and DHSC published the School Sport and Activity Action Plan. This Action Plan was a joint commitment to ongoing collaboration at national level to ensure that sport and physical activity are an integral part of both the school day and after-school activities. The Opening School Facilities Phase 2 programme supports this commitment, and North Yorkshire Sport are responsible for the delivery of this programme across both North Yorkshire and York.
North Yorkshire Sport's role in delivering the opening school facilities programme is to provide support and investment into schools that helps deliver after-school provision to aid young people reconnect, recover and return to play. There is a particular focus on those schools with a high percentage of pupils on Free School Meals (FSM), pupil premium, or in areas of deprivation where locally activity levels amongst children and young people are typically low. We are also looking to support schools to help open or reopen their facilities to the local community, as local evidence suggests that schools are community hubs where people feel safe.
All Primary, Secondary & Special Schools are eligible to apply for this funding. We will, though, prioritise allocation of funding according to the order below:
- Secondary and Special Schools restarting/expanding after-school provision
- Primary, Secondary & Special schools opening up facilities to the wider community (including lettings)
- Schools with swimming pools
- Primary Schools restarting/expanding after-school provision where there is a very clear focus on inactive pupils, those on FSM, and young people with SEND. Costs that could be covered by the Primary PE and Sport Premium are not eligible.
The programme runs from April 2021 – 31st August 2021. Funding has to be committed and spent by the end of August, and projects must start at the latest by the second week of the autumn term. Earlier is better. Individual funding limits: £2000 minimum, £10,000 maximum.
OSF Phase 2 Sport England Funding Rules
Essential information to guide applicants
OSF Sport England Funding Rules & FAQ PDF (PDF, 170 Kb)
Interested? Here's what you need to do:
We are asking for schools interested in accessing funding and support from North Yorkshire Sport to do the following:
- Complete the Expression of Interest form online (See below)
- If approved, complete monitoring and evaluation as part of the programme (TBC by Sport England & North Yorkshire Sport)
Please note we cannot fund the following:
- Capital projects – such as fixed buildings, facility improvements, fixed floodlights, line markings
- Payment of teachers & TA's – though TA's acting in a private capacity as a sports coach after-school may be paid
- Travel costs – either travel to venues or the transportation of children to and from sessions