Richard is a senior leader, specialist teacher of physical education and accredited SLE at Malton Community Primary School. Richard has significant experience in delivering physical education and leading wider areas of school responsibility in primary and secondary school settings.
Since 2013 he has successfully led Malton Community Primary School to be recognised by the Youth Sport Trust as a Gold provider of high-quality physical education, school sport and physical activity. In July 2016, his school were awarded the North Yorkshire Sport whole school improvement award recognising the impactful investment of sports premium funding.
Richard has presented at the YST and Association for Physical Education national conferences specializing in purposeful physically active learning to promote improved pupil outcomes in schools. He has collaborated with Loughborough University, Leeds Beckett University and the YST to contribute towards developing physically active learning strategies that engage children in literacy, reading, and numeracy through physical activity. In 2018 he contributed to the YST Ambassador Schools program, focusing upon strategies to evidence the link between physical activity and wider school achievement. He has also contributed towards the development of YST 30:30 resources, ClassPAL online learning platform and ECB Chance to Shine resource development.
Richard specialises in physical activity as a tool for whole school improvement. He can offer support and guidance on all aspects of primary school sports premium funding bespoke to the needs of your setting in order to help support your school leaders to maximize and effectively evidence impact in your school. Example areas of support area detailed below;
- Strategic PE subject leadership CPD (group or 1:1 coaching) sessions to promote long-term sustainability in your school.
- Guidance in relation to government guidelines and expectations of all aspects of sports premium funding in primary schools.
- Development and delivery of PE curriculum CPD sessions to teaching staff to develop high-quality practice within the subject area.
- Collaborative design and structure of innovative, creative and engaging PE curriculums that all children can flourish in.
- Devising and delivering purposeful physical literacy.
- Utilizing sport premium funding to impact upon physical development in EYFS settings.
- Creation of school intra/inter-school sports systems and extra-curricular opportunities.
- Strategies for using sports premium funding and physical activity to impact wider academic areas (Literacy / Numeracy).
- CPD and strategies to increase physical activity purposefully throughout the school day.
- Promotion of healthy active lifestyles across your school community.