- Contact Name
- NHS England
- Contact Email
- Contact Telephone
- 0300 311 22 33
What is Pre/post natal?
Exercise tips whilst your pregnant and post pregnancy.
Whether you are pregnant or have recently given birth, pre- and postnatal exercise can be very beneficial.
Exercise tips when you're pregnant:
- Always warm up before exercising, and cool down afterwards
- Try to keep active on a daily basis
- Avoid any strenuous exercise in hot weather
- Drink plenty of water and other fluids
- You might like to try swimming because the water will support your increased weight. Some local swimming pools provide aquanatal classes with qualified instructors.
- Exercises that have a risk of falling should only be done with caution as falls may risk damage to the baby
- Don't lie flat on your back, particularly after 16 weeks, because the weight of your bump presses on the main blood vessel bringing blood back to your heart and this can make you feel faint
- Don't take part in contact sports