'Club as a Hub'
North Yorkshire Sport and the North Yorkshire County Council Stronger Communities team have developed a programme called 'Club as the Hub'.
The demographic profile and geography of the county has highlighted an aging population within a heavily rural landscape. These factors can potentially lead to concerns of loneliness and isolation for residents. The 'Club as the Hub' programme will work with one 'Hub' sport club in each district per year and support them to become aware of the needs and requirements of their aging members and potential members.
The programme will look at specific considerations clubs should be aware of to ensure they are accessible to the whole of their local community. This may include training and support to deliver accessible/adapted sports, dementia and bereavement awareness and warm and well advice.
Generic sport development support will also be provided to make the club a focal point for best practise delivery and a knowledge hub for other local clubs.
Support on offer
Within the first year of the programme we will offer support to one bowls club per district (or similar sport clubs to tailor to the needs of older people). The whole club from head coach to bar staff, paid members of staff to volunteers will be supported through training which will include:
- Specific support to develop their role within the community and be aware of health and well-being issues of older people, dementia and bereavement and any other issues which may be affecting their members and potential new members.
- A North Yorkshire Play Bowls Activator Course and a Coaching Disabled Bowls player's course (or equivalent courses in other appropriate sports) will be organised with 10 free places per course per district.
- The clubs will also benefit from significant support through the Sport England 'Club Matters' structure. North Yorkshire Sport will work with each 'Hub' club to run a diagnostic to outline their developmental needs in Finance, Marketing and Promotion etc.
- North Yorkshire Sport will work with one core club per District and a series of smaller clubs in a hub and spoke model.
Simon Pierce (contact)
Development Manager - Disability
North Yorkshire Sport
- North Yorkshire Sport Ltd
69 Bilton Lane,
- 07414 911218